As somebody who has worked in the shop fitting business for many years, I have had the opportunity to visit many retail outlets across the United Kingdom and to observe the way they evolve over time.
Some have unfortunately gone by the wayside but others have gone from strength to strength. Something that all the survivors have in common is their attitude toward in-store displays. Those that take their displays seriously are, on the whole, those that have thrived over the years.
Could Slatwall Be the Difference Maker?
Of the store owners who take product displays very seriously, a large percentage use the industry’s most popular panel and accessory display system in their stores. Whether this can really be the deciding factor as far as long-term success is concerned is debatable but it really does seem to make a big difference from what I have observed.
1. Professional Look – One of the hardest goals for independent retailers to achieve is a store interior that looks every bit as professional as those in upmarket retail outlets that have been in business for many years and have access to far greater financial resources. The Slatwall display system scores highly in this department as it provides small store owners with an affordable solution that can look every bit as good as the custom made solutions employed by high end outlets.
2. Uniform Approach – Even large chains with hundreds of outlets across the country can benefit from this display system. Its modular nature means it is easy to scale up from small displays to large ones and by employing the same system in all your outlets, you can ensure that employees can transfer their skills and knowledge from one branch to another with ease.
3. Cost – As one of the more affordable integrated display systems on the market, it is a great choice for retailers both large and small. The importance of keeping operating costs to a minimum is something that all retailers agree on and this type of system makes the task a little easier to accomplish.
4. Availability – It might seem like a small concern when placing a one-off order but it is important to consider the future, even at the earliest stages of running a new retail business. The widespread availability of this particular display system makes it a great choice for retailers who are keen to expand in the future.
5. Durability – Creating a professional store interior and maintaining it in the long term are two completely different things and only high quality fittings like this system will allow you to achieve both objectives with ease.
The stores I have visited that have managed to compete with the best in the business in terms of interior layout, design and longevity are those that have adopted this ubiquitous display system and used it to good effect over the years.
Those that have failed are, by and large, those which have failed to adopt any kind of systematic approach to store displays.